Monday 15 October 2012

Luxury ingredient!

There are times when you are lucky enough to get your hands on something amazing and I have to thank my grandad for my luck.

He managed to send over two, yes two, sachets of saffron!!

It's the gold of the culinary world!
I have had them since July when I forced my dad to come and visit us for a week. And as the winter is on it's way, I thought it would be a brilliant idea to make some ice cream......no?
But I am so glad I made this ice cream despite the cold weather, the flavours were delicious and I wanted to finish the whole tub!

This is an adapted recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall:

200ml whole milk
A pinch of saffron
3 yolks
60g golden caster sugar (or refinded caster sugar)
200ml double cream
1-2 tbsp of runny honey ( I used Waitrose Honey Orange Blossom, it has a lovely scent to it)

A small handful of crushed pistachios (my addition)

Put the milk and saffron in a saucepan and heat, stirring a few times. Wait until bubbles appear on the sides and set aside to infuse for 20 minutes.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and creamy.
Add the milk into the egg mix and place the bowl over a bain marie, stir until the custard coats the back of a spoon.
Remove from the heat, stir in the honey and cream, cover the surface with clingfilm or greaseproof paper to prevent a skin forming, and leave to cool.
Pass the custard through a fine sieve and pour it into your ice cream machine, using the machine's instructions when doing so. Once done, freeze for at least a couple of hours.
Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

I decided to have a middle eastern theme to the treat, having the cold ice cream followed by a nice warm chai.

Heating and ice cream don't go well!
 The colour of the ice cream was just gorgeous, when I was looking for the right recipe one of them actually suggested to use colouring. That would have ruined everything if you ask me. Who would use saffron with artificial colouring!

And as my boyfriend pointed out, where are the spoons?!
Whoops!











I can't wait to make this for my own and my boyfriend's parents. I think they will both enjoy it!






When (if perhaps) the British summer comes around again, I will be revisiting this recipe without a doubt! I'm just glad I have some left in freezer which I can scoop into sooner!

Ciao! x

p.s Don't forget the final of GBBO tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment