Friday 7 September 2012

A (chocolate) blast from the past

There is a time in every Swedish kid's life when they will be introduced to this delight we call "kokos bollar", which translates to coco balls.....
As a kid, you will instantly become obsessed with it because it a) involves "baking" and b) no oven is required, so no parental supervision. I know that many friends, me included, sometimes could not the resist the temptation to just eat the mixture once you have (barely) mixed the ingredients together. It's not extravagant and it might not have the wow factor of a cake but it reminds me of my childhood and Sweden! And that's good enough reasons for me (if I ever needed any) to make these chocolate delights.

 
The recipe is as follow;
100g butter (room temperature)
Ca 120g of rolled oats
Ca 70g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2- 3 tbsp ground coffee (the amount depends on how strong of a coffee flavour you like and I used decaf)
Desiccated coconut, to roll the balls in.

You simply mix all the ingredients together, with your hands, until it's well blended. The mixture should be sticky enough to roll little balls or whatever size you like.

 
Once you have rolled them into balls, roll them around in a bowl with the coconut and put them in the fridge. I find that they taste nicer once they have been in the fridge for a bit, but leave them out for a bit so they are room temperature before eating them.
 
I would enjoy a chocolate martini even more with these as garnishes :0)
 
If you do decide to make these, I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!
 
Ciao! x

No comments:

Post a Comment