Thursday 23 August 2012

Zesty!

It seems that nowadays I only bake because something is about to go off.....
Yesterday was no different, I had zesty lemons and a pot of double cream infused with Earl Grey and Lemon+ Limoncello. Yum!

I pulled out my bible, well Mary Berry's Baking Bible, and used her cupcake recipe;
100g of butter (softened)
150g of caster sugar
150g self raising flour
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

I also added the zest of a lemon and the juice.

1. Pre- heat the oven to 180c/160c (fan)/Gas 4. Put muffin cases into a 12- hole muffin tin.
2. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl until blended and smooth.
3. Fill up each case to about 2/3s full.
4. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until golden and firm. They only needed 20 minutes in my oven so do watch them around that time.
5. Cool the cakes on a wire rack.

These cupcakes come out beautifully every time, I leave them to cool in my pretty pink dome.


I popped into Lakeland the other day (again!!) and bought a pack of four blossom plungers. I also bought a daisy cutter and mould which didn't come out great because the type of rolled icing I was using. I need to buy some sugar florist paste so I can try it out soon!
Anyway, they are so adorable I had to use them for my lemony cupcakes.
I coloured the rolled icing yellow and started to plunge....

I bought the paint palette holder from an arts and craft shop, very handy and cheap!
I whipped up the double cream and iced the cupcakes, I was going to pipe them but I find that whipped cream quickly becomes runny unless you have whipped it to death! Which loses the light, fluffy texture I love about whipped cream.









 
Although they might look basic, they taste pretty good. The slight Limoncello flavour goes great with the zesty and sweet sponge.
 


I decorated the last one with all the left over flowers, it almost looked too cute to eat it! Almost....
It was delicious with a cup of Earl Grey!

Tomorrow is the big day, I'm making the cake for my friend's bridal shower. I will make sure to share the outcome!

Ciao! x


No comments:

Post a Comment